The history of the church in Cromarty goes back a long way. Parts of the East Church date from before the Reformation in the sixteenth century. A very detailed history of the East Church by David Alston can be found on the East Church's own website.
The East Church is where the Church of Scotland congregation met until the Disruption in 1843. Hugh Miller, the famous geologist and writer who was born in Cromarty in 1802, writes about taking his Bible out of the family pew in the East Church when the majority in the congregation left to form the Free Church. The minister at the time was the Rev Alexander Stewart, who was then regarded as one of the most outstanding preachers in the whole of Scotland.
The West Church, where the congregation now meets, was originally built to accommodate the Free Church congregation. However, after developments in 1900 and 1929, the congregations of the Free Church and of the Church of Scotland in Cromarty came together again.
In November 2010, Cromarty Parish Church was linked with Resolis & Urquhart Church.